Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Strongest Among You May Not Wear A Crown

Ok so Cory's favorite band of all time is 3 Doors Down. Not too long ago we went to their concert (which was AMAZING, they actually were touring with a Christian band named Red who was also amazing). They played some of their new songs on their (what was then) up coming CD. Lately I have been listening to them a lot. There is one song that although they are not Christian and they wrote this about our National Guard this is a great song to remind Christian that we are in a battle and what we are called to do as soliders in God's Army. My favorite line in the whole song is the last line "The strongest among you may not wear a crown."

"Citizen / Soldier"
Beyond the boundaries of your city's lights,
Stand the heroes waiting for your cries.
So many times you did not bring this on yourself, When that moment finally comes,
I'll be there to help.
On that day when you need your brothers and sisters to care, I'll be right here.
Citizen soldiers holding the light for the ones that we guide from the dark of despair.
Standing on guard for the ones that we sheltered,
We'll always be ready because we will always be there.
When there are people crying in the streets,
When they're starving for a meal to eat,
When they simply need a place to make their beds,
Right here underneath my wing,You can rest your head.
On that day when you need your brothers and sisters to care, I'll be right here!
Citizen soldiers holding the light for the ones that we guide from the dark of despair.
Standing on guard for the ones that we sheltered,
We'll always be ready because we will always be there
Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown.
There is another song on the same CD called Let me be me. As someone who has struggled with fitting in with the crowd this other song has expressed those feelings. And as adults sometimes we forget how hard it was in middle school and high school to fit in while still being who you want to truly be. Also we will still tend to fall in to a category of expressing our own views so not be thought of as ignorant or judgemental or too (fill in the blank). We forget who we are and especially as Christians can tend to loose yourself in those things because that's what makes the rest of the world "happy". This is about finding yourself again and the things that you are good at.
"Let Me Be Myself"
I guess i just got lost
Bein' someone else
I tried to kill the pain
Nothin ever helped
I left myself behind
Somewhere along the way
Hoping to come back around
To find myself someday
Lately i'm so tired of waiting for you
To say that it's ok, but tell me
Please, would you one time
Just let me be myself
So i can shine with my own light
Let me be myself
Would you let me be myself
I'll never find my heart
Behind someone else
I'll never see the light of day
Living in this cell
It's time to make my way
Into the world i knew
Take back all of these times That i gave in to you
Lately i'm so tired of waiting for you
To say that it's ok, but tell me
Please, would you one time
Let me be myself
So i can shine with my own light
And let me be myself
For a while, if you don't mind
Let me be myself
So i can shine with my own light
Let me be myself
That's all i've ever wanted from this world

No comments: