Gun control has been the topic of not just the last few days but for as long as Cory and I have been together we have had to have a conversation about it. This post will probably make several people mad but it is something that has been talked about so often from very extreme points of view that no matter what happens someone is upset about this.
First let me say that no one has the right to shoot another person. There are circumstances where I understand it is necessary; however, to shoot innocent people is not acceptable. I do not understand what kind of pain or hopelessness it takes to make a decision to go in to a public place and shoot innocent people, but instead of blaming guns let's help the families who suffer with mental illness. Mental illness includes depression, anxiety, OCD, and a variety of other diseases. I have suffered through depression and anxiety since I was a child so I know how hopeless life can feel at times. I take medication and will probably be on it the rest of my life, not because I am not "trusting God enough" but because there is a chemical imbalance in my brain that literally makes it harder for me to be happy. If we as a society spent more time providing help instead of condemnation toward people with mental illness we could probably avoid more shootings.
In addition we have multiple guns in our house including rifles. For those of you who are claiming there should be stricter gun controls I always wonder if you know the process in which to obtain a gun the legal way. In California when you buy a gun typically you go through a test of how to properly keep a gun locked, and how to properly use a gun. Then after purchase you must get finger printed and there is a 10 day waiting period while they run a background check. After the 10 days you are able to pick up the gun. They do not issue guns to just anyone and everyone.
In light of these shooting we have made a rule in our house that while we will teach our future kids about gun safety the handguns will be kept in a fingerprint safe so that only Cory and I can access the guns. Also for rifles will be kept in a safe that only Cory and I will know the code to so our kids will not have access to our guns (even as adults) without our permission.
Gun safety begins at home. In America we continually push responsibility off to another person we need to stop the cycle and start taking responsibility for ourselves and demonstrating that there are consequences to our actions. We should be training kids with the knowledge of how to become a responsible adult along with helping them be able to ask for help when they are struggling.
This is a tough topic and while my heart breaks for the families and children who are dealing with all of the incredible losses that have happened this week. I am really in prayer for the families of the shooters. They will continue to feel responsible probably for years to come for not stopping it or not seeing the signs sooner. In response let us hug our loved ones closer, let us pray for those who do not know Jesus and that he can be seen in the midst of this tragedy, and let us know the signs of mental illness and help those who need help as they will most likely be dealing with this on and off their entire life.
92 Swim Tec 6 Wege Ventil Ersatzteile
5 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment