Friday, October 2, 2009

PTSD

Some of you know that I was in a car accident on Sept 10th. Someone hit me from behind on the freeway. Worse of all I saw it coming and I could hear him trying to brake knowing that he was still going to hit me (meaning I tensed up) so my best guess was that he was going 30mph. Now if you have known me for long you will know that I am no stranger to car accidents. It just happens around me and I don't know why, according to my memory I have been involved (whether passenger or driver) in at least 10 car accidents. You would think that by now I would be used to being in accidents, but I am not. In fact with each accident I become more and more paranoid and have more and more anxiety and anger with people driving poorly. PTSD for those who don't know is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (you can look it up on wikipedia if you don't know the basics about it). I think I have a mild to moderate case of PTSD. As the days go pass by my most recent accident has brought the following problems with it: anxiety, quick mood changes, lack of concentration, lack of patience and insomnia and this issues are becoming more and more apparent. So I am asking for prayer, that medical problems will resolve and that I will get enough money to help buy a new car to replace my poor battered car. Also if you have a background in psych (sisters I am counting on you) please let me know what I can do to get past these issues. In other words HELP!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holly - I am so sorry to hear about your car accident. I really understand the anixety that comes with being in a car accident and the stress that follows. I can share with you what helped me and still does to this day (6 years later) when I get anxious - which by the way I didn't experience before the car accident. I start to pray, telling God what I am anxious about exactly at that moment, no matter how silly (it almost always has to do with a car, me driving, kids driving, them riding with someone else, me being a horrible passanger, etc) I breathe deep and slow down my heart from racing. Then I talk myself through the situation literally!!! I hope that helps. Remember God cares about your stress and anxiety turn it over to him. Hang in there girl - Melney